History of Granbury, TXFrom the Beginning to How We Got to Today!
Hood County can be traced back to 1847 when the Barnard brothers settled in this area along the Paluxy River. Three years later, Elizabeth Crockett, widow of Alamo hero Davy Crockett, came to Hood County to claim land given to her in honor of her late husband. In 1860, Mrs. Crockett was buried in the Acton cemetery which became the smallest State Park in Texas.
By 1853, more settlers began crossing the Brazos River and establishing homes. When the Civil War erupted, many of the men left their families to fight for the Confederacy.
Upon returning home from the war, the men began to develop their area into a county.
In 1866, the Texas Legislature declared the county be named for General John Bell Hood who was a Confederate hero and leader of the famed “Hood’s Texas Brigade”. The Legislature also decreed that the county seat be named after General Hiram B. Granbury who was also a Confederate hero.
Today, Hood County is home to more than 60,000 residents. With deep roots in Texas history and newly added city conveniences, Hood County is capable of bringing together the past and the present making it the perfect place to call home!